dhz tweets fb dhz dhz on pinterest dhz g+ dhz socmed dhz blogs dhz is ... Home Home Image Map

Friday, 24 February 2012

Incredible Facts about English Language



Do you know? There are some incredible facts about English language which we may not had any idea before. What are they? Let's check them out!
  • There are at least two words in the English language that use all of the vowels, in the correct order, and end in the letter Y: abstemiously & facetiously
  • There is only ONE word in the English language with THREE CONSECUTIVE SETS OF DOUBLE LETTERS: Bookkeeper
  • "Four"
  • is the only number whose number of letters in the name equals the number
  • "Go"
  • is the shortest complete sentence in the English language
  • "Rhythms"
  • is the longest English word without the normal vowels, a, e, i, o, or u
  • No language has more synonyms than English
  • The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis.
  • There is only ONE word in the English language with THREE CONSECUTIVE SETS OF DOUBLE LETTERS: Bookkeeper
  • The oldest word in the English language is “Town”.
  • The word with most number of definitions in the English language is “set”.
  • The combination “ough” can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: “A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.
  • There are six words in the English language which have the letter combination ‘uu’. They are “muumuu”, which means a long loose-fitting dress, “vacuum”, “continuum”, “duumvirate”, which is an alliance between two equally powerful political or military leaders, “duumvir”, which is a rule by two people and “residuum”, which means remainder. There are only four words in the English language which end in “-dous”. They are: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous. There are three words in the English language that end in “-ceed”: proceed, exceed, and succeed. The only two meaningful words that end in “-gry” in the English language are: “angry” and “hungry”.
  • The word “goodbye” came from “God bye”, which in turn comes from “God be with you”. The phrase “so long” came from the Arabic word “salaam” and also from the Hebrew word “shalom”.

Source: KEy blog  and Incrediblediary

4 comments:

  1. One of the reasons why I am using English in my posting is about the traffic. I am checking with my Google Analytic today and found out that more than 62 % of my visitors are using English language.

    About 86.87% are new visitor, and the rest are about 13.13% are Returning Visitor. The visitor countries of my visitors are from Indonesia, Malaysia, Denmark, USA, Australia, Netherlands, Thailand, Canada, and Japan.

    The largest visitors are from Indonesia, with about 771 visits today. The data is from the Google Analytic in my blog for today, Saturday 25 Feb, 2012

    You have to use Google Analytic too for your blog, Miss Syahdini. It is a good one to know your blog's traffic and recognized your visitors more details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Few years ago my blog page rank was 3 loh kang, but bcoz of my laziness of posting and taking care to my blog, so it's going down to 1 hehe..

    Actually the main reason of me writing isn't to have a good traffic or kind like that, but merely to share things I have in my mind.

    But as the time goes by, traffic is also my other reason of maintaining this blog, finally :D

    I use feature that blogger has already put in the dashboard (the stats one) to monitor the visitor of my blog, anyway I'll use the one you suggest too..

    Thanks a lot for the suggestion kang :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to heart your page rank goes down to number one, 1 I mean.

    Few Steps to increase your Page Rank can be done with several ways such as Update your website every day by adding more unique content, Provide inside linking to your website , Using Site Maps , Trade your link with other web owners, and submitting to any search engine tools as well.

    Anyway, great ideas for you to share your mind here, and I will do the same thing too. You are one of my inspirations, Miss Syahdini. Well done yeah

    Happy Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you kang :)

    Happy blogging too..

    ReplyDelete

Because sharing is caring